What is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid is a scheme which allows us to claim an extra 25% from HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) every time somebody donates money to us (including when they pay their annual membership subscription). There are two conditions that the donor (i.e. you) must satisfy :-
- You must have paid at least as much in Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax in that tax year as we will claim in Gift Aid.
- You must make a Gift Aid declaration giving us permission to claim it.
Provided that you meet these conditions, we can claim a “FREE” £2.50 every year on your £10 membership fee (and 25% on any extra donations you make) without it costing you anything extra.
Who can complete a Gift Aid form?
Donation / Gift Membership – The person making the donation / giving the gift.
Individual Member – The member.
Joint Member – Either of the members.
Club/Society/Company Member – NOT eligible for Gift Aid.
What happens if I want to stop?
Simply tell us by using the Contact Us form (or by email, or even by letter) that you no longer want us to claim gift aid on your donations (including membership).
How do I join the scheme?
You can make a Gift Aid declaration in one of two ways :-
- Fill in our online Gift Aid Form. We will confirm receipt of the form by email.
- Complete a paper form (available from the treasurer) and post it back to us.
A Gift Aid declaration has no automatic “end-date”. Therefore please remember to notify us if you:
- Want to cancel this declaration
- Change your name or home address
- No longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains.
If you pay Income Tax at the higher or additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self-Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code.