S84PB08 Marbury

Milepost 84 / 8 is near Marbury

S83PB09 Wincham Milepost Index S85PB07 Anderton

This is a replacement milepost, unveiled in 1980. However, 40 years later in 2020 we discovered that the original milepost had been found and was in storage at the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port. [Unfortunately the museum’s records don’t say where (or when) the milepost was found, so we don’t know why we had a replacement milepost cast instead of just replanting the original milepost. Steve Guest thinks that he remembers hearing that the original milepost was found on the old line of the canal (which had been bypassed in the 1950’s because of salt subsidence) after the new one had been planted. Can anybody confirm or deny this?]

The top of the original post is in good condition (apart from a deep gouge). The maker’s plate looks like it was badly worn, as it has been repainted to read “RUD S’COND 1819” instead of the correct “R&D STONE 1819”. (Photos © Norman Stainthorp). 

Here is the replacement post being unveiled. [This photo is from the TMCS Archive, and unfortunatley the photographer is not known]

The plaque reads :-

THIS MILEPOST WAS SPONSORED BY
COUNCILLOR H. FLETCHER
& MARSTON PARISH COUNCIL
& OTHER VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS
REPLACED BY THE
TRENT & MERSEY CANAL SOCIETY
AND UNVEILED BY
COUNCILLOR H. FLETCHER
ON SUNDAY 16TH NOVEMBER 1980

PLAQUE BY BUTLER JONES BOGNOR REGIS

In 2017 Saltscape repainted the replacement post. Here are before and after photos (© Saltscape)

 

Page last updated March 2020 (tidied June 2020)
(All photos © TMCS, unless otherwise shown)